We went to Bodies - The Exhibition with the kids today. It was really kind of cool. Sam's favorite part was seeing the lungs of the smoker compared to the non-smoker. "It was black and ugly and nasty looking and I hated it!" said Sam. The "Fetal Development Room" was a little bit on the freak-show side but it was all fascinating. It was $82 for our family of four with our Nevada residents discount. Worth the money if you have any interest in anatomy or the inner workings of the human body. If it comes to your city, go see it.
Sunday, July 30, 2006
Wednesday, July 26, 2006
What do you do in Las Vegas when it's 110 degrees? You meet your friends at the Activity Pool. This is Ana and Sam with our friends Sera, Ethan, Grant and Dana (on the far right.) This is the pool where Ana is a Junior Lifeguard. She helps teach swim lessons in the morning. In the afternoon she has to option to "shadow guard" which means she follows the life guards around and does everything they do (except she doesn't get paid!!) She enjoys it and when she is 16 she can do it for money.
Saturday, July 22, 2006
Karen is 40 years old today. If the baby of the family is 40, how old does that make everyone else? The family (Mike, Ana & Sam) took me to Brighton Collectibles and picked out a beautiful necklace for me. Then we had lunch at Cheesecake Factory and Ana & I went shopping and picked up what I really wanted...a bo staff!
Monday, July 17, 2006
July once again brings us to the Chun Kuk Do International Training Conference and World Championships. Ana attended the 3 day event which included training classes, competitions and an Awards Banquet and Dinner at the Stardust Resort in Las Vegas . Ana competed in kata and fighting and took 1st place in both events! She competed against other girls her rank and close to her age. Next year she will be a higher rank and competing in an older age group. I'm sure she'll be great next year, too! The highlight of this year's event was a class taught by Grand Master Chuck Norris himself. We did not participate but were able to watch which was really fun!
Thursday, July 13, 2006
Four things to do before I die
1. Get my black belt in karate
2. Learn to shoot a gun
3. Fly on the Concorde (not gonna happen - out of commission)
4. Stay at a seaside inn on the Mediterranean
Four things I can't do
2. Swim 50 laps
3. Sleep through the night
4. Figure out Sam's thinking process (WAY different from mine!)
Four things I love about my spouse
1. He works hard so I don't have to
2. Takes days off that hard work so I can pursue karate when I want to
3. He is THE barbecue master and cooks every weekend
4. Loves and accepts me in spite of myself
Four things I say often
1. "You're smoking crack!" as in...you've lost your mind
2. Cha ryut and kyung ye (Attention and bow in Korean for karate class)
4. Get off the phone!
Four movies I could watch over and over again
1. Sense and Sensibility
2. A Knight's Tale
3. Toy Story 2
4. Okay - I don't spend a lot of time sitting around watching movies so I can't think of another one.
Four jobs I've had
1. Sandwich maker at Wendy's (a good lesson in how not to treat people)
2. Travel Agent (both leisure and business...business is better)
3. Accounts Payable Specialist for a grass seed company
4. Mom (the hardest one yet...working was a lot easier!)
Four places I've lived
1. Idaho (born there)
2. Montana (grew up there)
3. Oregon (got married and had kids there)
4. Nevada (want to retire here)
Four TV shows I like to watch
1. The Amazing Race (when it's on)
3. Dog The Bounty Hunter
4. Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations
Four places I've been on holiday
I've been a travel agent so the list is long - I'll pick my favorites
1. Russia (1989 - right after the Berlin wall came down)
2. Bermuda - didn't see any triangles
4. Germany - to play soccer when I was in high school
Four favorite dishes
2. Garlic mashed potatoes (but probably only because I can no longer eat them due to dietary restrictions)
3. Filet Mignon grilled over mesquite by my husband
4. French Onion Soup
Four places I'd rather be
1. On a massage table
2. On the mat doing karate
3. Almost anywhere my children are not fighting and someone is handing me a Margarita
4. With my husband (didn't mean to put you last, honey)
Wednesday, July 12, 2006
We took a little summer vacation to Phoenix to visit the grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousin.
This is Ana, Sam and Delaney on the bumper boats. A wet time was had by all!!
The Go Karts were a big hit with Ana and Sam. Delaney was not quite tall enough and had trouble pushing the gas pedal.
Swimming in the grandparents pool was the preferred entertainment AND it's already paid for!!!
Wednesday, July 05, 2006
Since the fireworks of my youth (you know, the ones where you get to blow stuff up!) are against the law here in Nevada, we did what we could. The kids did Poppers, SmokeBalls and Sparklers! Our neighbors who always do the really good fireworks moved last fall so this was all we had. Michael - we missed you!