Tuesday, December 25, 2007
Monday, December 24, 2007
What do you do on Christmas Eve? I'll bet it doesn't look anything like THIS!!
First things first...Ana is off to the chiropractor. What? I didn't tell you that story? Okay, in a minute.
Secondly...to Joe's to do some karate. Black belt test is fast approaching and my school is closed for 6 weeks. (Big shout out to the City of Henderson for that fine schedule!)
While we're at Joe's, we'll do our little gift exchange.
Off to the store for last minute supplies for Christmas foodery. If it all goes awry, Walgreen's is open Christmas day.
Then we're done. Call it a day. By noon-ish I should be able to lounge about doing nothing if I so choose. I usually don't so choose...but I could.
One of Ana's responsibilities while playing soccer is to throw the ball in when it's gone out of play. At her first game of the season, she was retrieving said ball across the track. Her games are played on the football field (it's lighted - the soccer field isn't) surrounded by the track with a little concrete thrown in for adventure. When wearing soccer cleats, concrete becomes very slippery. Ana's feet went out from under her and she fell HARD right on her buttocks. The net effect of that was that one of her vertebrae moved out of place and now has to be returned. She is in traction 3 days a week and will likely take up to a year to recover fully. It doesn't affect her too much except that she is in pain. Poor dear...
Saturday, December 15, 2007
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Sunday, December 09, 2007
The Christmas spirit, that is.
Sam was hiding it all along.
He initiated putting up the tree and did all the decorating around the house.
He was also in charge of the camera again.
This is better than Thanksgiving!
Saturday, December 08, 2007
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Paper. I'm not buying anymore until mine runs out!
2. Real trees or Artificial? Artificial. We don't live in Oregon anymore and real trees run $40
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually Thanksgiving weekend...but no interest this year. It's still not up!
4. When do you take the tree down? Early January. It's fake...what's the hurry?
5. Do you like eggnog? Not particularly, but Sam and Mike do so I buy the best for them...Anderson's Dairy
6. Favorite gift received as a child? A dolly my mom made in my likeness. I named her Tammy after my best friend.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes. Purchased with green stamps prior to my birth. It features Mary, Joseph and the TWO wisemen. (Hey! It's more than 40 years old and made of papier mache!)
8. Hardest person to buy for? Men in general. They never seem to want anything.
9. Easiest person to buy for? My teenage daughter. She usually picks out her own gifts.
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? I emailed the "Elf Yourself" with genuine paper cards to follow.
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? There's such a thing as a bad gift?
12. Favorite Christmas movie? A toss up..."A Christmas Story" or "Elf".
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? around September if I see things that make me think of loved ones.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I like to be "green" but that's a bit much!
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Peanut butter balls, Special K bars or my Dad's smoked salmon. Come to think of it, he makes really good peanut brittle, too.
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? All the colors of the rainbow
17. Favorite Christmas song? O Holy Night
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Stay home. Family is so far away...sigh...
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes. Do you mean here and now? Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Donner, Blitzen and the dork with the red nose. Clarice's boyfriend, Rudolph.
20. Angel on the treetop or a star? Old time Santa in a fancy red robe...Okay! It's a dress!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? They're CHRISTMAS presents...not Christmas EVE presents. Although, Mike's family tradition is to open one gift that arrived in the mail on Christmas eve, so we let the kids do that.
22. Most annoying thing about this time of year? Why are people in such a hurry? Slow down and enjoy the crowds. Getting impatient and annoyed doesn't help a thing.
23. Favorite Christmas ornament? The green bell. We had four colored bells as children and the green one came to me. I cherish it.
24. Favorite thing for Christmas dinner? Not my day to cook. I don't care what shows up on the table. Although Patty's dinner sounds pretty tasty. I don't remember ever being fed lobster when we lived there!
Monday, December 03, 2007
In no particular order this week, here is the menu:
Cape Breton Chicken
Spaghetti with marinara
Big Easy Shrimp
Sam requested the turkey burgers and Ana likes spaghetti. Now that she's made the soccer team she thinks she needs to carb load. The Big Easy Shrimp will probably just end up as my lunch. It's in no order this week because I will likely end up cooking in the morning when I have time. This week's evening schedule holds three soccer games, two karate classes and Sam has no school on Friday.
Looks like family dinners are going by the wayside this week.
Saturday, December 01, 2007
Friday, November 30, 2007
Nov 5....Applebee's with Ana. Grilled Cheese BLT and French Onion Soup
Nov 6....Shrimp with cocktail sauce
Nov 10...Organic Minestrone Soup
Nov 12...Smart Ones Lasagna Florentine
Nov 28...Southwest salad, 100 calorie pack baked Cheetos
Nov 29...turkey pepperoni, pepperjack cheese, wheat thins
Nov 30...I'll be out running errands so I'll try to get something at least a little healthy
Thursday, November 29, 2007
0130..wake up because Mike is out of bed working, let the dog out, take meds I forgot
0213..check the clock - still awake
0302..check the clock - still awake
0358..Mike back from work, cold, provide body heat to warm him[i'm so sweet :)]
0613..first wake up call from Ana - yes, she wakes ME up, not the other way around
0631..out of bed, get dressed, contact lenses in
0640..drive Ana to school
0704..arrive back home, make sure Sam is getting ready
0734..drive Sam to school
0800.."shop" breakfast, pretend to be a spy and do top-secret stuff
0919..go to walmart in search of winter coat for Sam (soccer season is COLD!)
0938..done at walmart - no coat, only a hat ($1.42)
0952..arrive at mall prior to opening - starbucks is open, thank goodness
1022..mission accomplished at victoria's secret
1035..short notice appointment at chiropractor to put hip back in place
1122..finally get to sneak in a shower
1210..receive phone call from friend
1221..eat lunch while reading blogs
1239..post on my own blog
1247..phone call from Ana, trainer says no practice due to slight elbow injury
1320..pick up Ana from school and go to walgreens(no luck) and smith's for elbow tape
1401..arrive home to ups package on porch - Ana's fur lined hoodie
1525..get Sam from school - lego club cancelled, he didn't tell me
1547..arrive home, get mail, three netflix movies arrived
1620..make dinner - killer turkey hash (the cookbook's name, not my opinion of hash)
1700..eat dinner, pretty good, but not "killer"
1720..lay down on the bed and rest for a few minutes, it's been a long day
1730..greet Mike who is home from his even longer day
1753..leave for karate with Ana
2104..arrive home, eat snack
2135..type up blog post so it's ready for tomorrow (another busy day ahead)
2140..check calendar for tomorrow's appointments (doctor and Ana's away soccer game)
2142..take meds(remembered this time) and go to bed
There's a reason my byline is "The minutiae of the life of a housewife." This stuff is boring!
Wednesday, November 28, 2007
|Are you ready for a ZOMBIE attack? |
Your Result: Badass
|Dead From the Start|
|Are you ready for a ZOMBIE attack?|
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz
I think the boys would be proud. Not because I'm a Bad@$$, but because I actually bothered to TAKE A QUIZ about Zombies.
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
I can hardly wait for next year when it is a fall sport.
Posted by Karen at 12:38 PM
Monday, November 26, 2007
Let's start close to home at the Capitol Christmas Tree in Washington, D.C.
I found a photo of a tree in Red Square.
And this cute little Christmas tree from Sweden.
I LOVE that there are real candles amongst the branches.
After my tirade above, I must have been inspired.
This tree is in Queensland, Australia.
Found one in Singapore, too.Should have guessed I could find one at the Vatican!
And my personal favorite...Raffles City Shopping Center in Singapore.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
I've cruised the Caribbean (more than once) and the Mexican Riviera.
I've been as far as Russia to see St. Basil's Cathedral.
I've been to Maui twice.
Call me crazy, but I'd like to go jet boating in New Zealand.
I've long wanted to go on Safari in Botswana, but only if I get to stay in a lodge like this.
Even something as simple and lovely at the Smoky Mountains looks pleasant.
It's cloudy today. Maybe that explains my sudden wanderlust.
I'm finding posting every day to be tedious. I'm just not that interesting. I'm looking forward to December when I can post whenever something strikes me as "post-worthy."